Experienced Representation For Family Legal Matters

When you are involved in a divorce or other family law matter, you need an experienced lawyer who will understand the emotion, stress and anxiety that often come along with family-related disputes. You also want an attorney who is willing to fight for you and properly advise you of your options to help you make informed decisions that protect your interests.

At Cloutier Law Offices, P.A., our primary family law attorney, Liz Cloutier, has more than 25 years of experience representing clients in family law matters. She was voted "Favorite Female Family Law Attorney" in 2008 and "Favorite Female Attorney" in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 by readers of Minnesota Women's Press, Inc. She has successfully litigated a wide variety of cases throughout the Twin Cities metro area and around the state of Minnesota.

For a free consultation to discuss your goals and concerns, call us in Minneapolis today at 612-332-5100.

We represent both women and men in divorce, child support, domestic abuse, paternity, adoption and prenuptial agreements. We also handle post-decree matters involving modification of custody, child support, parenting time or spousal support decrees. In the majority of cases, it is possible to negotiate a resolution of disputes with opposing parties and their attorneys or to attend mediation to reach a settlement. If alternative dispute resolution is not an option or is unsuccessful, we have the skills, legal knowledge and expertise to litigate cases and successfully advocate for our clients in court.

Help With A Wide Variety Of Family Law Issues

We handle matters related to the following:

  • Child custody and parenting time: We help you negotiate and implement custody and parenting time (commonly referred to as "visitation") arrangements that protect both the best interests of your child and your rights as a parent.
  • Child support: We will work with you to ensure that the Minnesota child support guidelines are properly and fairly applied, and that calculations performed by the court are correct. We can also help you seek deviations from guideline recommendations if those are appropriate for your unique situation.
  • Alimony/spousal maintenance: We will help you determine if spousal support is appropriate and if so, the amount, frequency and duration of payments.
  • Property distribution: We will work with you to establish and implement a workable plan for the equitable division of marital assets. We will make certain that you are awarded all "nonmarital" property (i.e. that you received through inheritance, gifts or that you owned prior to the marriage) and can help you perform a thorough accounting of assets if you suspect your spouse is hiding property.
  • Motions for temporary relief: Early in your case, we can file motions to have the court establish emergency payment of child or spousal support, implement temporary child custody and parenting time schedules, and perform a perfunctory distribution of assets or debts.
  • Motions for modification: We are often retained to file motions to modify prior divorce decrees or court orders. If there have been substantial changes in your circumstances (or those of your former spouse) that would warrant a change in the amount of child support you pay or receive, new custody or parenting time arrangements, or a change to spousal support amounts, we will ask the court to reconsider their previous orders. Since Minnesota significantly overhauled its child support laws in 2007, we have helped many clients modify prior child support orders that are no longer in compliance with the law.
  • Motions for contempt: In the event that a party fails to pay child support, will not allow parenting time, has not turned over property or has otherwise violated a prior court order, we can file a motion to have that party held in contempt of court and seek sanctions.
  • Establishment of paternity
  • Adoption, second-parent adoptions and stepparent adoption
  • Grandparents' rights, including adoptions
  • Third-party custody when it is in the best interests of the child
  • Domestic partnerships
  • Prenuptial, postnuptial and cohabitation agreements
  • Domestic abuse proceedings, including seeking temporary restraining orders (TROs) or protective orders aimed at preventing further violence
  • Paternity
  • Sperm donor and egg donor agreements/ART
  • Relocation of parent

We understand that when our clients are going though family law proceedings, they experience tremendous stress and frustration. We make every effort to be available to counsel our clients, and we keep the lines of communication open with our clients, promptly returning phone calls and responding to emails.

Do You Need Help Resolving A Family Law Issue?

For a free consultation regarding family law matters, please email us, or call us at 612-332-5100.

We represent individuals and families in Minneapolis, St. Paul and all around the Twin Cities area.